Now that George is almost 9 the Valentine card writing experience is not quite as harrowing.
Ten years ago Valentine’s Day was about roses, dinner out, maybe even a new pair of unmentionables. Today, Valentine’s day is about boxes of perforated Power Rangers cards with Tootsie Pops taped to them and forcing my 5 year old to write his own name 28 times like a Drill Sergeant. G-E-O-R-G-E! Again! G-E-O-R-G-E! Again! Just get it done! Oh, and it’s also about frosted sugar cookies.
For the dough:
- 4 sticks salted butter, softened
- 3 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 t. orange or lemon extract
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. salt
- zest of 1/2 a lemon (about 1 T. finely grated zest)
- 4 3/4 C. flour
For the frosting:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- food coloring- I used Chefmaster food coloring gel in Christmas Red to get the violent pink color.
- 2 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 1/4 t. vanilla
- water as needed for thinning
Cream the butter and sugar until…
View original post 301 more words