My favorite Christmas cookies!
Hands down, my family’s favorite holiday cookie! Amaretti are traditional Italian cookies made with almonds, sugar, and egg whites. If you buy amaretti they are usually quite crispy and crunchy. These amaretti are soft and chewy on the inside and a bit crisp around the edges. In Sicily these would have a candied cherry in the middle. The dried apricots give them a really nice fruity flavor and chewy texture. Adapted from Eat The Love. They are also naturally gluten free!
- 2 1/2 C. almond meal or almond flour (the ingredients should list only almonds)
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 chopped dried apricots (mine were soft and chewy, not too dry)
- More sugar and powdered sugar for rolling
Heat the oven to 300 degrees. In the food processor, pulse the almond meal and sugars until…
View original post 114 more words