My husband was eating a deli salad from Safeway a few days ago and liked it so much he took a picture of it and texted it to me. This is a pretty rare occurrence, and has never, ever happened with a salad. Here is my recreation. Serves 8-10.
- 2 bunches of Lacinato (dark green/purple) kale, thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 C. fresh blueberries
- 1 C. shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 – 1 C. dried cranberries
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 shallot, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 C. champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 C. olive oil
- 2 t. sugar, or 2 packets of stevia powder
- salt and pepper to taste
To slice the kale, stack up a few leaves and slice them into thin shreds perpendicular to the stalk. Toss the kale, berries, seeds, cabbage and shallot together in a large bowl. In a jar with a lid, shake the dressing ingredients together to combine and pour over the salad. Toss to combine, cover and chill for about two hours before serving. This can be served at room temperature which makes it great for a potluck. Just try to make it ahead so it has some time to sit and absorb all those flavors.